Wednesday 4 March 2015

Ben's Story - Are you afraid of me? I'm not gonna attack you!


I wrote part of this to someone, as an impulse, as a stream, as I was still shaking inside and out with the ripples of the encounter - the first part; the rest is a reflection and an exchange with a delightful array of souls of all sorts - lighter, deeper, more intellectual, more ethereal, pragmatics and dreamers, a combination of two or more and everything in between. The layers will most likely be obvious with almost a tactile quality..you will likely almost be able to touch the overlap; at this point I can't say for sure.

Ben's story ... and mine



Though I was late for work, last minute I decided to grab a coffee in Starbucks...I was waiting for the barista with headphones in...when a middle aged man, kinda scruffy nudges me and says "Sorry, is there a cue?" I look at him a bit confused ( I was the cue), smile and say "Well, it's just me".
He says "I'm disabled, I can't see." And I freeze for a sec... as he says "I was in bad accident, I spent 5 years in hospital." (This struck me even more as we were just talking about how I thought it would be a tragedy to suddenly lose your sight ...you remember the Isaac convo)

Isaac is a poster dog for a fundraising campaign for training of guide dogs and helped sway me donate; of course it wasn't just him - I'm not that naive but I liked having a story, a face and a name. Hook, line and sink'er.

Then he says "Are you afraid of me?" I say "No, not at all" ... And still at that point I don't fully realise what's going on. He hears my name and asks "Where are you from?" 
as so many ask upon hearing my name, ever so fickle for Anglo-Saxons; strange, since I normally give my Starbucks alias of Joanna. I didn't this morning.
I say "Romania" and we start talking about travelling for a bit....then he tells me he loves ballet and jumps to say "I'm not gay, I'm not!"
Then ...he says... "I was a stuntman ..I was nominated for an Oscar, my first film was Gladiator. Russell Crowe isn't very nice!" He then jumps again and says "Are you afraid of me? I'm not gonna attack you!"
I say "No, not at all!".... at this point I thought he kept saying this because he must have heard my voice grow fainter as I was walking along to get the coffee. He says..."I had an accident" and I ask what happened...he said "Parachute, I don't remember, I was in hospital for 5 years, my brains were smashed, they thought I was gonna die, they were lovely in hospital...I have no memory." I get the coffee and we say goodbye and I get back to the office...my head kinda spinning.
And I can't settle ...so I grab my coffee and go back ...I thought what if he didn't hear me say goodbye and felt left like that? So I find him, sit down at his table and say "I'm sorry Ben, I must have left in a hurry but I didn't want you to think I'm rude." He says "I'm sorry, I'm disabled , I had an accident"

And then I realise - he doesn't remember...


So we have the exact same conversation again and every now and then, he would say "Are you afraid of me? I'm not gonna attack you, I know you're a woman but I don't want to have sex with you." 

This happened every time he reached out and touched my hand, which was on the table, playing with the cup of coffee, while the other was shielding my eyes from the gorgeous morning sun. I probably was not as relaxed as you'd normally be over a cup of coffee, understandably, but I'm not sure if he picks up on such cues. The question would sometimes come out of the blue, without the touch, but certainly accompanied every contact. I realise it’s automatic, more or less, definitely compelling, so I keep ignoring this and ask him questions about himself and he gets over it and starts asking questions about me. He struggles a bit with finding questions to ask and I smile and take the pressure off ( he was probably trying not to lose the momentum in his head) by asking him questions. At this point I'm still a bit sceptical about his story and he says "I have a website do you want to know my full name so you can see?
I don't feel bad for this - I wasn't questioning his intentions but it is a pretty wild story!

He says "Ben Bellman" ...

We keep talking, he says his girlfriend at that time, is now married to someone else and has 2 kids and a lovely husband... "I'm not angry...I was in an accident, they thought I would die....but I'm not angry....she's my best friend...I want to be married to a female and have children"
And here he would pout, like children do, like lovers do when the play act being upset, only, his expression held the deepest sorrow I have ever seen but so fleeing, maybe a second not more and then the most genuine, child-like, whole-heartedly and endearing smile would shine on his face as he would move on to something else.

He lives in Victoria with his 86 year old mum, who is his caregiver and he loves to talk to people.

He loves ballet, especially Russian - he thinks it's beautiful. He taught sports - 10 different kinds but he especially loves triathlons and yoga. He thinks yoga is beautiful, ashtanga yoga in particular. He thinks sports are beautiful and he thinks he only survived his accident because he was so strong. He is aware that if I disappeared for 5 minutes, he wouldn't recognise me. His body is covered in scars, but he only showed me the one at the base of his throat, where the tube went in - it was a deep, cruel scar; he has more but he didn't want to be naked in front of me. He's a vegetarian and seeing as I'm an animal, I shouldn't worry - he wouldn't hurt me anyway.

He gets up every morning at 4 am and stretches for an hour in his room.

He's been to Spain and thinks Barcelona is beautiful; he's also been to Kenya last year and found it beautiful - the animals ( he loves animals, horses in particular, but monkeys are his favourite), he thinks the people there are beautiful, black people are beautiful - "I'm not a racist"

Anyway....as we had finished our coffees and I did have to go back to work....we said goodbye.


I looked him up online: Stuntman, worked on Gladiator, Die Another Day, Band of Brothers,etc, sports teacher,journalist for Time Out.
Busted perception - Russell Crowe is most likely not very nice!
He taught skydiving, parachuting and in 2001, after more than 1000 jumps, his parachute sis not open and he fell for almost 2 miles, smashing all the bones in his body and sustained severe brain damage, which affected his eye sight, though he retained his mobility ( I'm not sure of the time and effort this entailed)...and indeed spent 5 years in hospital in Barcelona...He can't remember anything about the experience - only the events.
I also found a blog post - a guy had written it in 2008 - he ran into him at the underground and gave an account of what they had talked about....it's pretty much the same....a loop....
http://rodcorp.typepad.com/rodcorp/2008/05/im-not-angry.html

But at some point he said "My life is almost over" ( he's 47) and I looked at him and said but it's new every 5-10 minutes and he smiled this HUGE smile and said "yes!"

And since the morning I can’t help but think… I was so wrapped up in myself over the past few years, without even realising it….

and I was overcome by an immense feeling of relief, joy and clarity that I have trouble expressing and verbalising that somehow stemmed from realising a deeper level of it's not all about me - it unlocked the door of my head so I can step out and breathe in the warmth and soak up the sun that today was particularly kind. This is not to take anything away from me - I think of my self lovingly and know I am kind, considerate and altruistic; this has more to do with the feeling of being central to your life experience, less with being self-centred and nothing to do with conceit or selfishness.

I believe this experience, while incredibly humbling, is not meant to cause flagellation. 


Ben said I was very kind and I said he was beautiful,as beautiful as yoga, animals, Africa, black people, sports and Barcelona.

And what remains once lucidity, functionality, social and genetic coding are smashed, once the thread is violently torn, while everything becomes BEAUTIFUL, is the need to assure everyone that you are not violent, not angry, not a sexual predator, not gay by mere association, nor racist. The question is WHY?? Did someone (re)teach him that he must repeat these assurances or is it a product of the powerful control that once was, that guided behaviour, that prescribed the subtle and commonly understood cues, suppressing the need to verbalise?

Out of all the people I shared this with, one reaction struck me in particular.Upon reading the story, my dear Spanish friend said " Que penita"  ( one would normally say Que pena! to mean - What a shame! or What a heartbreak!, more like it) But he used the diminutive, which in this case diminishes nothing but humanises the sentiment that much more.

22 comments:

  1. hi - Ioana

    On a whim I Googled "Ben Bellman" and came across your post here, published on my birthday ;-)

    I used to know Ben before his accident. We played ultimate frisbee together in. A really lovely human being and possibly one of the most graceful, natural athletes I have ever known. You've probably read about his other careers: DJ with charting single (Mt Rushmore), journalist for Time Out etc etc. All true.

    It's good to hear news of him from time to time. I've heard he turns up at ultimate games in Hyde Park and go through similar loops that you experienced.

    If you ever see him again please give him a big hug for me and let him know there are many people he touched. His story reminds to pass on the small shit and grab all the other bits in between as you never know when that choice might be taken away from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh! I'm sorry! I'm only reading this now, I don't know how it got lost in this web of platforms! He is indeed impressive and indeed one of the loveliest, most gentle souls I've ever met. I certain I will run into him again, as I did a few months after this account. Life is strange and wornderful when you think of these connections ,,,

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness I'm sat in Starbucks right now talking to this man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. surreal!!! i am so happy he constantly has people to talk to

      Delete
  3. This also happened to me last week! What an interesting guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bumped into Ben just yesterday, in Starbucks. I was typing away on my phone and getting ready to leave my seat, when I was surprised by a voice asking, "Where are you from?" Unlike most people, Ben had avoided the whole row of empty chairs to my left and took the one seat immediately to the right of me.

    Our entire conversation of nearly 30 minutes played out almost exactly the same way that yours had, and although I was tempted to Google him at the time, being understandably dubious (in my experience, so many men boast of incredible exploits but frequently, so little of that is true) but I hadn't the opportunity.

    After half an hour, although I'd enjoyed chatting with Ben, I made an excuse to leave - I'm ashamed to say that I was starting to get embarrassed by his intense questions of why I was afraid of him (I wasn't but as you had noted, he seemed anxious to show he wasn't a threat) and his proclamations of not wanting to attack, or have sex with, me. He said goodbye to me in Mandarin ("How do you say goodbye in Chinese?") and I shook his hand, thanking him for a most fascinating conversation.

    After I got home, I Googled Ben (I've been approached by so many types of people and I've grown a little more cynical along the way) and discovered that he wasn't making anything up. Now, I wish I hadn't been as thin-skinned and had spent more time with him. If ever I'm next in the area, I shall look out for Ben.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. understandable, of course! I think I was just in a more meditative state of mind and the conversation really got to me

      Delete
  5. I bumped into Ben just yesterday, in Starbucks. I was typing away on my phone and getting ready to leave my seat, when I was surprised by a voice asking, "Where are you from?" Unlike most people, Ben had avoided the whole row of empty chairs to my left and took the one seat immediately to the right of me.

    Our entire conversation of nearly 30 minutes played out almost exactly the same way that yours had, and although I was tempted to Google him at the time, being understandably dubious (in my experience, so many men boast of incredible exploits but frequently, so little of that is true) but I hadn't the opportunity.

    After half an hour, although I'd enjoyed chatting with Ben, I made an excuse to leave - I'm ashamed to say that I was starting to get embarrassed by his intense questions of why I was afraid of him (I wasn't but as you had noted, he seemed anxious to show he wasn't a threat) and his proclamations of not wanting to attack, or have sex with, me. He said goodbye to me in Mandarin ("How do you say goodbye in Chinese?") and I shook his hand, thanking him for a most fascinating conversation.

    After I got home, I Googled Ben (I've been approached by so many types of people and I've grown a little more cynical along the way) and discovered that he wasn't making anything up. Now, I wish I hadn't been as thin-skinned and had spent more time with him. If ever I'm next in the area, I shall look out for Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ben was a friend of mine. We met in Penzance Cornwall on an intense Ashtanga yoga week. We both taught yoga and right before his accident I covered one of his classes for him where he was well loved and respected. His accident was tragic and I also believe that the only reason he survived was because of his amazing fitness level. I used to go and see him in the hospital while he was in a coma and afterwards at his mums home. I'm so happy to hear that he is doing well and living his life. I miss his friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it took so long to reply - i don't manage platforms well :) he still does yoga, he tells me..every morning he wakes up at 4 and practices. It's so nice to hear from you! I will pass the love on when I see him next!

      Delete
  7. Please send him my love as I'm back in the US now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and one more thing. Back in the day he said Joaquin Phoenix was very friendly, Russell not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh and one more thing. Back in the day he said Joaquin Phoenix was very friendly, Russell not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please send him my love as I'm back in the US now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ben was a friend of mine. We met in Penzance Cornwall on an intense Ashtanga yoga week. We both taught yoga and right before his accident I covered one of his classes for him where he was well loved and respected. His accident was tragic and I also believe that the only reason he survived was because of his amazing fitness level. I used to go and see him in the hospital while he was in a coma and afterwards at his mums home. I'm so happy to hear that he is doing well and living his life. I miss his friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know this is an old post but I'd just like to say I just met Ben at a Starbucks and I had the exact same conversation with him. Probably talked to him for about an hour, much of it was repeated but I didn't mind, did the same thing as well and asking him a question once he started to say "are you scared of me?" And it worked. He was such a nice man and I'm glad I met him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also met Ben today.. on the 38 bus from green park to Victoria :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just back from Starbucks, and had the EXACT same conversation with him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness!!! I was just in Starbucks today and I met him and had this exact same conversation! Unfortunately I wasn't able to stay for long - I stayed for around 20 minutes.
    I'm googling his name now and can not believe all that I'm reading!
    I'm embarrassed to say but his constant saying 'are you afraid of me, im not gonna hurt you', did also make me uncomfortable. Even though I realized he was trying to reassure me by saying that. I thought maybe people get scared of him because he's disabled - or at least he thinks so, so I responded 'no, no, I'm fine', and later when he repeatedly asked me if I'm scared of him, I asked him questions myself to get his mind off that.
    I feel bad I was on my phone part of the time while he was talking - trying to google him to make sure his story was genuine.
    I wish I had stayed longer and was less nervous around him and more attentive. If you do see him again, say hi from Rose - although as I see now, he probably won't remember who I am.
    His story really is amazing, I feel so sorry for him that he had to go through that accident.
    He was also telling me how he loves Russian ballet etc, and he wants a girlfriend and to have a baby girl who will do ballet. He said his Mum did ballet. He also told me that his Mum and Dad are no longer alive.
    He spoke about Russel Crowe - and that he wasn't so nice. He said that Pierce Brosnan was really nice.
    He asked me which animals I like, and that he likes monkeys the best. He spoke about his Spanish horse he used to have, and about his then girlfriend and her husband...basically the same conversation as you.
    I still can't believe this happened today and that the exact same thing happened to all of you! - and in the same way, with the 'are you afraid' 'I'm disabled' etc sprinkled throughout.
    He also mentioned that he also used to be a journalist - if I understood correctly.
    Wow! What an incredible story he has and really is a reminder for me to put things in perspective! He really is an inspiration!
    I also want to say that I love that how you responded to him that his life is 'new every 5-10 minutes'.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have just met Ben today on the 44 bus in Victoria. At first I was a little startled but his stories were amazing. When I googled him when he got off I couldn’t believe what a tragic accident had done to such a successful person.
    Maybe this is a lesson to each of us he meets, to appreciate life! X

    ReplyDelete